Saturday 5 June 2010

The Coot family

This weekend I wanted to try somewhere new to visit, and having previously passed it on a number of occasions, I thought I would try Havannah Nature Reserve near Newcastle Airport. Formally Hazlerigg Colliery which was in use up to 1977, the area was left derelict until 1994 when it was turned into a nature reserve.  It’s now home to a wide range of habitat and animals including some ponds where I found a Heron, Swans and a family of Coots.

TBP_4912
 

The Coots and Swans were obviously used to human visitors and were happy with my quietly sitting at the side of the pond taking photos, though the Heron kept its distance at the other side.

Dad

TBP_4923

Getting fed

TBP_4932
 
TBP_4942
 
TBP_4949

Calling out to be fed

TBP_4968
 
TBP_4969

Having a go myself, how difficult can it be

TBP_4982

Showing how it’s done

TBP_5020

The rest of the family

TBP_5033

Sibling rivalry

TBP_5045
 
TBP_5048
 

After about 40 minutes of the tranquillity of a sunny, warm summers day, the inevitable happened.  To my left was a loud splash and when I looked across I saw that two dogs had jumped into the water – the owner of course, totally indifferent as the Heron fled and the Coot family swam hurriedly away to the opposite side with the young obviously unable to fly yet.  With the peace and quiet gone, I too decided to move on.

TBP_5065

Results of A week of warm and dry weather

I wondered around for a further hour, but at midday, little stirred, just the calls of various song birds and Swallows flying over head.  Certainly worth paying another visit on a later day especially early in the morning with less human disturbance, to see what might be around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment