Sunday 22 January 2012

A Belated Post

Last week was the first time in nearly a month that I managed to get out, largely down to the monotonous grey, windy, damp weather but on this case, despite being cold, it was sunny and only a slight breeze.  I wasn’t originally going to post anything as it was an uneventful day and I was really just out for a walk but I thought I should keep the blog ticking over.

Large waves were crashing ashore along the beach I was walking along despite the lack of any real wind and I decided just to sit and enjoy the spectacle and fresh air.  The only wildlife about were a various assortment of gulls and a few shore birds darting amongst the rocks.

SMP_3685
SMP_3692
SMP_3700

Watching, I noticed sometimes a gull would break off from flying higher up and do a ‘daredevil’ run along the crest of the waves, nearly getting caught by the breaking onrush. I was amazed that none did – the one below nearly ended up swamped.  I don’t know why it was worth the risk, certainly no food incentive that I could see.

SMP_3707
SMP_3708
SMP_3709

This Oystercatcher was also getting in on the act, stopping off onto a rock and only at the last minute just missing an incoming wave though it didn’t stop it coming back again.

SMP_3728
SMP_3729
SMP_3730
SMP_3731
SMP_3750

Despite an enjoyable walk, my first outing out of the new year remained uneventful with most of the gulls some distant offshore or high on the cliff ledges.

SMP_3764
SMP_3779
SMP_3798

1 comment:

  1. Magnificent photographs Frank. The sea is really something isn't it.

    ReplyDelete