Saturday 7 May 2016

Cold Disappointments

This weekend has been complete contrasts.  Today warm sunny, but yesterday…  It’s been a while since I’ve photographed Foxes – in fact it’s been a while since I’ve really seen one, but for fleeting glimpses.  Saturday, (the not so warm and sunny day), I went out early in the morning in the hope of doing such a thing and where better to photograph a Fox but where there are plenty of Rabbits.  Or at least that was the plan.  It was damp, misty and a slight on/off drizzle, not the kind of day I like to normally venture out into but I was committed so I set up and waited. 

I hadn’t planned on photographing Rabbits but as time went by I figured I may as well, besides it was freezing and needed to take my mind off it. It felt like the coldest day of the year so far probably due to the fact, being May I didn’t really think I would need extra layers of clothing and gloves (I had taken my gloves out of my bag the night before). Lighting was poor but the dew in the grass made for quite picturesque images so I persevered even after two hours by which time my hands were going numb with the cold, not helped by having to touch the metal on my lens.  At times it was even hard to keep the camera still as I was starting to shiver. 

Another hour and a half and still no luck.  The Rabbits seemed pretty relaxed but for the occasional running around and I noticed they rarely put their heads up to look around for predators.  Two Magpies were flying back and forth nest building.  These birds have been great alterters for me of the presence of Foxes, but there wasn’t any indication from them the whole time that there was any danger about.  Self preservation eventually made my mind up and I left empty handed – at least of Fox images but I did come away with decent Rabbit ones - and no frost bitten fingers!

Rabbit, Sigma 500mm f4.5

One of the few times a Rabbit seemed alert

Rabbit, Sigma 500mm f4.5

IMG_7728

IMG_7744

IMG_7749

IMG_7760

IMG_7766

IMG_7783

IMG_7804

A bit of Rabbit action – not a result of a Fox thoughIMG_7814

IMG_0121

The sight I left behind

0 comments:

Post a Comment